EndNote is a proprietary product of Thomson Reuters.These notes explain how we have mapped data to ComWriter using Endnote XML file format.
Preparing your data file in Endnote
- Make sure you select everything in the library rather than an individual reference
- Export from any of the following software solutions: Endnote, Zotero, Mendeley, Papers, WOK, using the file type Endnote XML
Importing into ComWriter
- Go to the Research tab
- Click the 'Import' button
- Select Source = Endnote, Zotero, Mendeley, Papers, WOK
- Select file type = Endnote XML
- Click the 'Import Resource' button
- Your file will uploaded and will be reviewed for errors
- If there is an import errors in ComWriter, we reject the entire file. This provides you the opportunity to fix the data in your source program first and then import a clean file
- DO NOT RE-IMPORT THE FILE; this will cause duplicates; i.e., we do not check for duplicates
- All imported resources have been added to the resource Group 'Recently imported', so you can find them easily. You can also search for 'endnote', 'zotero', 'mendeley', 'papers', 'WOK' and the resources that have come from this source will be displayed as we store 'source' as system-source data on each record.
- Text can sometimes exceed our limits; for example, one Note I came across in my EndNote file seemed to include the entire article. These might need to be examined.
- Medium needs to comply with our drop list. These records may need to be edited before importing will be successful.
- Date. If the date contains text (e.g. 2008//Spring), we map the text to 'Volume Month Or Season'; otherwise we report it as an error. If it is an error, you need to decide if you want the data or not. It will need to be moved before the import will be successful (e.g., move it to Notes)
- We cannot import files attached to EndNote, because Endnote does not export them
There are a few data fields we have decided not to import:
- All: Translated Author (We have not yet implemented translation processes)
- All: Last modified date (Source software specific)
- All: Last update date (Source software specific)
- Name of file (We can't bring the file because it is not exported)
- Film or Broadcast: Series Director, Credits (We have nowhere to put this and want to avoid any confusion with Director, Performers)
- Caption (We don't bring the image, so we don't need the caption)
- Personal communication: sender & recipient e-mail
- Grant: contact fax & phone
- Reviewed item: this data field is not exported
We have made the following automated corrections to the data:
- Any full stop at the end of Title has been removed
- Date, if a non-valid date (e.g., 2008///Spring) is detected we have placed the text in 'Volume Month Or Season', as this appears to be what the data represents
- Pages: Endnote stores page numbers as 123-45, where as ComWriter stores the From/To separately. We have split the data and 'repaired' any missing lead digits; e.g. 123-45 loads as Page from =123, Page to = 145
- Number of pages : sometimes Endnote stores text with the numbers, e.g., 1/8p. So we have stripped the text off, and grabbed the largest digit/s; e.g., 8, and used that as the 'Number of pages'
- Start Page : because we store pages as 'Page From' and 'Page To', we haven't needed to bring Start Page across
- ISSN/ISBN : Endnote stores several numbers, ComWriter only stores one. We have, therefore, imported the first entry only
- Data imported into endNote from from PubMed has several errors that we have corrected:
- The author names in Endnote are initials, and the full names have been dumped in the Notes; so we have scanned the Notes and brought the full names into ComWriter. The Style determines if the output should be initials only.
- NIHMSID & PMCID are stored as separate data fields in Endnote on several reference types. A PMCID replaces a NIHMSID, so there is no need to store both. Also, for non-medical references these are not required. We have imported this data as a Database Identifier thus : PMCID: 12345, or NIHMSID: 456789. We ignore NIHMSID if a PMCID exits. Note that we have also added the prefix PMCID/NIHMSID as this is a requirement of those databases.
- For PubMed entires, Endnote tends to stores the Abbreviated Journal as the Journal, and the full Journal name as the Alternate Journal. We have swapped these so that the Alternate journal is stored as the 'Journal' title and the Journal is stored as the 'Abbreviated Journal'.
- The Endnote reference type 'Generic' has forced us to create a generic style in ComWriter to accommodate this 'unknown' reference type. ComWriter's Generic resource type has all the possible data fields available in ComWriter. Please note that we do not include any generic resource types in our Styles. Make sure you review all 'Generic' imports and change their Resource Type / Format designation.
- Electronic Book has been imported as Book / Authored, with the source set to online
- Electronic Book Section has been imported as Book / Section or chapter in book, with the source set to online
- Electronic Article has been imported as Journal Material / Journal Article, with the source set to online
Post Import Check
All imported resources will be added to the resource Group = 'Recently imported'. It is recommended that you Export this group as a Bibliography, in your preferred style, and take a look at the data to determine any necessary corrections. For example, Endnote has a limited range of reference types, whereas ComWriter has a broad range. As such, you will need to review imported data to determine if any resource/s need to be changed to a different Type or Format. Here are some examples:
- Book / Book Section / Electronic Book / Electronic Book Section : Review all imported 'Book' references and determine if they have been set to the correct Type / Format. For example, Endnote does not have Book volume, or Section in book volume
- Thesis: Endnote only has one reference type, where as ComWriter has two (thesis & dissertation). Review imports to check if a change is required
- Conference Paper / Conference Proceedings : ComWriter has four types, including symposia
- Patent : ComWriter differentiates between patents that have been granted and those under application
- Blog: we have a drop list to differentiate the type of blog. This needs to be added
A full list of the mapping arrangement is noted below.
- If ComWriter appears to have 'lost' some data, change the resource Type to Generic/All and take a look; otherwise go back to your source software and examine the entry
- You can search your ComWriter resources for references imported from 'Endnote', 'Mendeley', 'Zotero', 'Papers, 'WOK'
|Reference Type||Resource type||Resource format|
|Aggregated Database||Dataset||Data series|
|Ancient text||Creative work||Ancient text|
|Audiovisual Material||Video or audio||Video|
|Bill||Legislative material||Bill or resolution|
|Blog||Internet material||Blog, forum or social media post|
|Book Section||Book||Section or chapter in book|
|Case||Legal case or decision||Legal case - reported|
|Chart or Table||Image||Table|
|Classical Work||Book||Classic work|
|Computer Program||Software & equipment||Software program|
|Conference Paper||Conference material||Section in conference proceedings|
|Conference Proceedings||Conference material||Conference proceedings|
|Edited Book||Book||Edited book|
|Electronic Article||Journal material||Journal article|
|Electronic Book||Book||Authored book|
|Electronic Book Section||Book||Section or chapter in book|
|Film or Broadcast||Video or audio||Film or movie|
|Government Document||Report or plan||Government report|
|Hearing||Legal case or decision||Transcript or submission|
|Journal Article||Journal material||Journal article|
|Legal Rule or Regulation||Legislative material||Regulation|
|Magazine Article||Article||Magazine article|
|Manuscript||Creative work||Manuscript - creative work|
|Newspaper Article||Article||Newspaper article|
|Online Database||Dataset||Data series|
|Online Multimedia||Video or audio||Podcast or webinar|
|Pamphlet||Communication||Brochure or marketing material|
|Personal Communication||Communication||Email, Fax, Letter or Memo|
|Podcast||Video or audio||Podcast or webinar|
|Report||Report or plan||General report|
|Serial||Video or audio||Television program|
|Statute||Legislative material||Act or Statute|
|Thesis||Thesis or dissertation||Dissertation|
|Unpublished Manuscript||Article||Unpublished manuscript|
|Web Page||Internet material||Web or wiki page|